Describing Blu’s discography requires a mixed bag of adjectives. His albums have a unique trajectory among rappers in that there is no continuity whatsoever. Every project has a radically different direction. Only MF Doom matches Blu’s creative spontaneity. “Everything’s OK” suggests another such leap on Blu’s next album NoYork!
Blu explores a dream world of excess with Jack Davey (a woman, fyi) as his throaty, playful arm candy and then sneaks in some criticism of the sports cars and yachts lifestyle on the last verse. Flying Lotus gives the song a fluorescent, jumpy exterior with a frenzied chiptune beat.
The announced lineup of producers and features for NoYork! is incredible: Madlib, Daedelus, Shafiq Husayn, Knxwledge, Samiyam, and Bilal, to name a few. It’s like Blu recruited the most talented people who are tangentially involved in hip-hop to make a hip-hop album.
According to Fresh Selects, Waajeed did a remix. Side note: Fresh Selects is back and they’re working on… an album produced by Waajeed? *Puts down cyanide pill*
Remaining Blu/J*Davey tour dates after the break.
- Friday, March 18th – Austin, TX @ Suite 101 J*DAVEY & BLU
- Friday, March 18th – Austin, TX @ Nuvola J*DaVeY ONLY
- Wednesday, March 30th – Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade
- Tuesday, April 5th – New York, NY @ SOB’s
- Wednesday, April 6th – Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
- Thursday, April 7th – Washington, DC @ LIV
- Friday, April 8th – Pittsburgh, PA @ Shadow Lounge
- Saturday, April 9th – Chicago, IL @ The Shrine
- Sunday, April 10 – Grand Rapids, MI @ Love Lounge
- Thursday, April 14 – Seattle, WA @ Nectar Lounge – J*DaVeY ONLY