Welcome to the first installment of a new feature here on ML, where we hit you off with 10 random factoids about some of your favorite (and, likely also some of your least favorite) artists. They’re fun. They’re facts. You do the math.
1. Before the RZA brought together the Wu-Tang Clan, Raekwon and Ghostface were enemies.
2. Christopher Wallace took on the rap name “The Notorious B.I.G.” after the rap name “Biggie Smalls” was already taken… by a white dude.
3. Likwit Crew member Defari has a master’s degree from Columbia University.
4. Cam’ron’s role of “Flea” in Killa Season was originally written with Samuel L. Jackson in mind.
5. After one day misplacing his rhyme notebook in the studio, Young Dro began writing lyrics on T.I.’s old grocery lists.
6. Lil’ Wayne’s toxicology report following a recent arrest has doubled as the FDA’s most up-to-date list of banned substances.
7. T-Pain’s recording of “I’m In Luv With A Stripper” was the fifth step in an intensive, 12-step stripper-rehab program.
8. Fabolous began to seriously pursue a rap career after an embarrassing spelling bee defeat.
9. Memphis Bleek is actually two hits away.
10. Prodigy of Mobb Deep came up with the idea of posting “First!” in blog comment sections.
Okay, so it’s April Fools Day, and you may have been duped once before. Clearly, not all of the above were true… but, I’m hoping at least every one beyond the first three were funny.
Hopefully some of our readers out there are fans of Dave Letterman (and, if not, hopefully none are fans of Jay Leno). Dave does a bit once a week called “Fun Facts” where he reads off a list of bits of information from the fictional “FBMI” (Federal Bureau of Miscellaneous Information). Dave introduces the bits of info as “facts”, and the first three are always indeed facts — insightful, interesting, perhaps thought-provoking. Then, the rest are so blatantly false that the fact they are presented straight-faced and as facts is ridiculously hilarious (well, to me, at least).
Nas said “no idea’s original, nothing’s new under the sun, it’s never what you do but how it’s done.” Hopefully this was done well, and worth more posts in the future. Happy April Fools, and don’t look now, but there’s a spider on your shoulder.