To celebrate a month’s passing since our introductory Fun Facts post, here’s a second installment. Pat yourself on the back if you’ve noticed a trend here.
1. On “Stick 2 The Script” (off The Dynasty Roc La Familia), Jay-Z’s line “We gon’ run the streets/’til we reach Malik” is in reference to former NBA player Malik Sealy, who was killed by a drunk driver in 2000.
2. MF Grimm was arrested en route to a studio where he would have recorded a verse for Main Source’s “Live At The BBQ”.
3. T.I. shortened his rap name from “T.I.P.” out of respect for his at-the-time Arista Records labelmate, Q-Tip.
4. In exchange for being allowed into Junior M.A.F.I.A., Lil’ Cease had to let Biggie’s girlfriends beat him at Nintendo.
5. “Hell Date” was the original title of a failed “Flavor of Love”-type reality show pilot starring DipSet member Hell Rell.
6. If everyone in hip-hop who claimed to be 5-percenters really were 5-percenters, they’d be more accurately described as 92-percenters.
7. Having “Lil’”, “Young” or “Yung” in your rap name entitles you to a “Kids Eat Free” card.
8. Former Three-Six Mafia member Crunchy Black’s favorite type of peanut butter is, oddly enough, smooth.
9. The Roc-A-Fella break-up was actually not intended — Jay-Z just misheard Damon Dash, who was, as usual, talking really fast.
10. Snoop Dogg quit smoking weed three times in the time it took you to read this post.