Today marked the 3rd anniversary of J Dilla’s passing, It wouldn’t be right if I didn’t post something up to remember the man and his craft.
Here are some things that I came across today that I recommend you check out in remembrance:
- Brandon has, well deservedly, dedicated the whole month to breaking down each and every single track from Dilla’s masterful instrumental album Donuts.
- SofaKing got a bunch of noteworthy cats such as Black Milk & 6th Sense to list their 10 favorite Dilla beats. It’s interesting to see there isn’t that much overlap, which reiterates how deep & diverse his Catalog of work was.
- Stones Throw recently shared a live recording of Jaylib show from 2004 (with a guest appearance by Common), download it and check out the pictures & some words form J. Rocc.
- Sweeney has some tracks and info on how you can purchase A Suite for Ma Dukes EP, which directly benefits Dilla’s mother.
- And if you have somehow missed it last year, ML’s Dilla Beat Drop is worth your time as well.
Note: This was supposed to go up a little earlier, but just as I was about to publish, the internets went out. Thanks Comcast.