The Virgin Mobile FreeFest is tomorrow in Columbia, MD at the Merriweather Post Pavillion, and since ML has covered many Virgin Festivals in it’s history. We think it’s appropriate that we share our picks on who to check out this year.
- The Temper Tramp (killed Bonnaroo this year.)
- Trombone Shorty (Yes, the same guy from HBO’s Tremé)
- Will Eastman (DC DJing god, yes please.)
- T.I. (Sike! He’s not coming.)
- Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros (To hear Home is reason enough.)
- Neon Indian (ML’s chillwave fav).
- Thievery Corporation (To chill out for all the raging that will happen afterword)
- Chromeo (2 things: Bring dancing shoes & try to not OD on funk)
- Ludacris (The (sole) RAPPER of the festival!)
- Sleigh Bells (you brain will melt from this electronic group)
- M.I.A. (A lot of prayers from fans that her live show returns to form here. The B-More dance child Rye Rye might appear, too.)
- LCD Soundsystem (Must catch these guys before their impending retirement, your grandchildren will be jealous)
If you are looking for some non-music things to do, my guy James from Fanscape suggested ML readers check out State Farm’s Club 17k where they will hook you up with chair massages, custom t-shirt printing and a boat load giveaways (trust me, it’s their job to giveaway stuff.). If you click that aforementioned link and install a ringtone they’ll even bless you with some VIP treatment at their compound.
ML’s attendance this year can be best compared to a star football player coming back from an injury– a last minute decision. So if ML does end up crashing the Virgin Mobile Fest gates, we’ll be sure to rant on twitter.. or mess around, and *gasp* make a review post.
While the free tickets are long gone, there have been some $30 tickets released, and that craigslist site is sure to be flooded with them. Lastly, check out the nice preview Express put together.